Announcement from the SAOL
Demise of President Watanabe Jun
On 20 January, 2020, President Watanabe Jun (Professor at Nihon University) passed away. He was only 68 years old. It was just one day before the publication of his latest book What is active learning?, to writing of which he had devoted his life for almost a year. He was looking forward to seeing how people in society react to it. It was expected that he would contribute to and be active in education in Japan. The sorrow of the remaining members of the SAOL over his loss is beyond expression.
His wake on 26 January and funeral on the next day were attended by a lot of his colleagues and students at Nihon University, acquaintances, and friends, who felt sorry to part from him.
The SAOL pledges to continue to be active
The year 2020 is the fifteenth year since the foundation of the SAOL. We, at the SAOL, have determined to take over President Watanabe’s will and to continue to be active. Our member Professor Miyazaki Michiharu (Hirosaki University) has been appointed acting president. The steering committee has decided on the following two main points.
The first point is a review of President Watanabe’s writings to discuss what he has left for us. A serial reading session of his posthumous book What is active learning? will be held at our monthly meetings.
The second point is carrying out events and tasks that had already been planned. They include cooperating with teachers of the Japanese language at a training session in London, an annual summer seminar, and a presentation festival for high school students.
Seminars and events hosted by the SAOL will be announced to you this year, too. Your continued support will be highly appreciated.
The SAOL and Watanabe Jun Book Fair
In commemoration of the publication of ‘Fifty dramatic and other educational activities for lessons in elementary and middle schools’ (Meiji Tosho), we offer books by the SAOL and Watanabe Jun at discount prices. Click here for more information. This limited time offer is valid while supplies last.
- List (all items are in Japanese)
- ‘What does it mean to be international?’
- ‘Teachers: Directors of learning’
- ‘Using drama as a means of instruction’
- ‘Seventy warm-up activities for learning’
- ‘Change the way you teach with the dramatic method’
- ‘Educational presentations’
- ‘Introduction to participatory activities’
- ‘Fifty dramatic and other educational activities for lessons in elementary and middle schools’
- ‘Exploring dramatic activities in education’
- ‘Methods and techniques of education’
- The SAOL and Watanabe Jun Book Fair - Commemorating publication of 'Fifty dramatic and other educational activities for lessons in elementary and middle schools' (Meiji Tosho) （Source: Meiji… […]
- The July (144th) regular meeting was held - On Satruday, 11 July, 2020, the July regular meeting was held. The main contents are given below. Recent news of… […]
- The June (143rd) regular meeting was held - On Saturday, 13 June, 2020, the June regular meeting was held. The main contents are given below. Recent news of… […]
- The May (142nd) regular meeting was held - The May regular meeting was held online on 9 May, 2020. Despite the inconvenience of online meeting of not being… […]
- The April (141st) regular meeting was held - On Saturday, 11 April, 2020, the first regular meeting of the Japanese school year was held. That was the first… […]
- The SAOL attempted an online workshop - On Saturday, 14 March, the SAOL co-operated with The British Association for Teaching Japanese as a Foreign Language (BATJ) and… […]
- The March regular meeting was cancelled - The March regular meeting (scheduled for Saturday, 21 March) was cancelled with a view to preventing the spread of COVID-19.… […]
- A remarkable book to indicate a new direction of education! - What is active learning? (Iwanami Shinsho) now on sale President Watanabe Jun's latest book What is active learning? (Iwanami Shinsho)… […]
- New Year’s camp 2020 (the 140th meeting) was held - The annual new year's camp was held from Sunday, 5 January to Monday, 6 January, 2020. [Session 1: Presentation Festival… […]
- The December (139th) regular meeting was held - An open workshop was held on Saturday, 21 December. The facilitators were Professor Yoshida Mariko (Tsuda University) and Dr Takeda… […]
- President Watanabe Jun’s latest ‘What is active learning?’ (Iwanami Shinsho) to be on sale in January 2020 (Reserve a copy now!) - Active learning, despite the fact that it is the main feature of 'reform in ways of learning' to be implemented… […]
- The November (138th) regular meeting was held - On Saturday, 24 November, Professor Saito Kurumi (Japan College of Social Work) was invited to speak at our open seminar.… […]
- The 137th (October) regular meeting was held - An open lecture was held in conjunction with the October regular meeting on Saturday, 26 October. The lecturer was Professor… […]
- The 136th (September) regular meeting was held - On Saturday, 21 September, the September regular meeting was held. The contents are given below. Reflections on the Akariza Tour… […]
- The Summer Seminar was held - The 14th SAOL Summer Seminar was held on Wednesday, 7 August. The theme this year was 'How to realise active… […]
- The Akariza Tour in Gumma was held - The Akariza Tour in Gumma was held on Tuesday, 30 July. That was a joint venture for teacher training between… […]
- The 135th (July) regular meeting was held - The July regular meeting was held on Saturday, 20 July. The main contents are described below. The final arrangements for… […]
- The 134th (June) regular meeting was held - The June regular meeting was held on Saturday, 15 June. The following are the contents of the regular meeting. Exchange… […]
- The May regular meeting was held - On Saturday, 18 May, 2019, the May regular meeting was held. The lecturer was Professor Yamaji Hiroki (Vice-chief officer for… […]
- The April regular meeting was held - On Saturday, 20 April, 2019, the April regular meeting was held as an open lecture. The theme was 'Check these… […]